Friday, February 18, 2011

thinking about learning to shoot film?

Now would be a good time. Jonathan Canlas just released a new book entitled, "Film Is Not Dead: A Digital Photographer's Guide to Shooting Film". You can read more about the guide here.  After reading the complete document I've decided to become an affiliate for the guide. I'm recommending this book because I want to promote film as a viable option and because, to my knowledge, it is the most affordable, concise and current guide available for learning to shoot and process film. If you know of any others please send them my way! I'm also recommending it because I took Jon's workshop in October of 2009 and feel I can recommend him as a teacher. I support his efforts to make shooting film more accessible and affordable. Disclaimer: if you are looking for THE way to shoot film this is not it. The guide contains recommendations for cameras and other equipment, film stock, labs, workflow etc. based on Jon's personal experience and basic photography fundamentals. In my opinion it's an efficient and rewarding way to shoot film. Will there be some things in the guide that won't apply to you? If you are any good at your craft, yes, of course. To get the most from this book you will find ways to glean what is best for you and your situation and tailor it to your own needs and taste. This book encourages you to do that, to learn the basics and then to have fun and experiment. I recommend this guide for anyone who wants to learn the craft of film photography. It is well organized, easy to read, conversational and honest.

I may add a more detailed review of specific elements and chapters from the book in the future. In the meantime, if you have any specific questions about the guide please feel free to ask.

No comments: